Up to Something New

Having grown up in the Midwest I absolutely love, love, love the snow. Many will cringe at reading those words, preferring the sunshine and beach but not me.
I love being outside and so with this move north a fresh breath has brought to life one of my dreams, cross country skiing.

I’m starting at ground zero with not an ounce of equipment or knowledge so I headed to my local REI and started talking to the staff. What a wealth of information. They were able to connect me with local ski rental shops, proper clothing recommendations and signed me up for their next free class on how to get started in the sport.

I can’t tell you how excited I am about this opportunity. I’m nervous too. In the back of my head, I still have that “I hope I don’t make a fool of myself” thought process but man-oh-man if this sport turns out to be half as fun as I’m imagining it to be, those doubts and worries will be gone in a flash!

Thankfully, it looks as if the cross country ski season doesn’t really take shape until mid-to-late December-early-January in these parts, so I have time to do more research, get fitted with skis and build up my outerwear gear, not to mention spend a little more time at the gym!        

Lastly, I found a local ski club to get connected with other skiers and plan on attending the next meeting.

So this is it friends, I’m on my way. Out of my comfort zone and onto fulfilling a life wish.

But can I tell you a little secret? 

I'm a bit nervous. You see, I’m doing it alone. Well, relatively speaking. No one in my family really wants to ski so I’m going solo in this venture. As a rule of thumb I tend to stay close to home with people I know but with my family bowing out it means I’ll be connecting with strangers, trying something new and really stretching myself in a variety of ways.

That's okay. Life is about trying new things, growing and challenging yourself and I can’t wait. 

I’ll keep you posted as the season progresses.

Now it’s your turn. What are you trying? What is one thing you want to do?

Until next time,

Blessings & Best Wishes,
 photo signature_zpsb12c9ce6.png

No comments:

Post a Comment